1/16/2013

Life of Pi (2012)

This will be a rough draft review of Life of Pi. I won't be writing that much about the film due to lack of time, but I do intend to polish it up as soon as I can. I am sure that almost everyone out there has seen Life of Pi so there is no need for me to elaborate on the plot. Also with all the good reviews about it, people who have not seen it need little more convincing. While I admit that Life of Pi is an above average movie, far better than the majority out there, I was not totally wowed by it and personally don't think it is worthy of all its accolades.

I think it is universally accepted that the movie was an absolute visual masterpiece, and I would have to agree with this. Visually, Life of Pi was unbelievably beautiful; so many stunning scenes and images that were really breathtaking. My personal favorite was the aerial shot of the ocean with all the jellyfish.


The lessons and questions about life that the film tackles are very real issues and are actually very timely for today's world. From the question of multiple religions being different interpretations of one solitary religion, to how actually caring for others is what makes us "live", the film is full of wonderful insights for anyone who watches.

Acting was pretty okay all around so with all the good things I have said, why would I think that it  does not merit all the accolades? Personally, I did not find myself engrossed or entertained by the "Life" of Pi.

I didn't enjoy the scenes of Pi being alone as much as I thought I would, and that's a concern since this is majority of the film. I enjoyed the scenes where Pi was a young child or an adult so much more. This was where I found the best acting (adult), and the best lessons (kid). The scenes in the ocean for me, in a word, were very plain. Not boring, but not engrossing as well.

This though is NOT enough reason to brand this a bad movie. It is still very much worth going to the theater to see and is a thoroughly enjoyable film. Not worthy of winning best picture in March though.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment