11/28/2012

Good Libations: Global Beer Exchange's Bottle Shop

The original theme of my blog was supposed to be about beer. My good buddy Phil was the one who first told me that I should write a blog about beer since I have always been and always will be a lover of finely brewed beer. But then I decided to not just focus on beer and make the blog about film as well. Unfortunately I haven't been able to write any sort of beer review yet, but I plan to change that with this latest post. I will be starting a new "category" in my blog called Good Libations, and these posts will not only be about the latest beers I have tried and what I have to say about it, but it will be about any finely made inebriating beverage under the sun. It is also fitting that the first entry under Good Libations be about the latest beer haven in the city: The Bottle Shop of Global Beer Exchange 

Let me start with a short anecdote. Coming from The Philippines, our selection of beers is very limited. 90% of the beer market here is controlled by one company. It was right around my late high school/early college years when my interest in beer really began to flourish. During my younger years, whenever we had an inuman (filipino for a drinking session), I would find myself noticing that the usual beer we drank wasn't really that delicious. So I tried the various beers of said monopolizing company and found that there was one beer that was superior to the rest. I found out that it was a Czech style pilsner and until now it is still my Filipino brand beer of choice.


Afterwards, I decided to research and study the different types of beer and found out that there were so many varieties and brands to choose from that I need not limit myself to one brand. So throughout the years I would scour the streets of Manila finding other types of beer and in the process, realizing just how delicious beer can be when created right. Since then, I have tried close to a hundred beers, some are good, some are bad, while others are excellent but all are unique in their own way.

Some of the beers I have tried, on display at my house


In the past couple of years though, there has been a growing demand for better beers. People are starting to demand not just that beer be inebriating, but that it taste good as well. Imported beers were slowly making their way into the Philippine market, but more importantly, so was Craft beer. While a number of bars and suppliers carry a variety of imported beers, to them it was simply a business. They saw that there was a demand for different beer brands, so they brought it here. Nothing wrong with that, in fact, I thank them for bringing all these brands and giving us pinoys choice. But there is one company that is completely different in their approach. They not only brought different brands of beer to the country, but they have been preaching that beer must be treated with the same respect as wine. They have demanded that beer be of the absolute best quality and taste, and they gladly preach this belief to others who would listen. 

Since 2008, GLOBAL BEER EXCHANGE has been at the forefront of the Craft Beer revolution in the country. Led by Jim Araneta, GBEx has brought some of the finest and world-renowned beer brands to Manila. These are not just your ordinary imported beers, these are award-winning, medal garnering beers. GBEx believes in the greatness of beer and goes to great lengths to promote it. They have tasting sessions where other beer aficionados drink and share tasting notes and opinions, just like wine tasting. Ask some server in the other bars what type of beer Guinness is and you'll probably get a blank face. This vast knowledge and love for beer is what sets GBEx apart. 

GBEx has slowly but surely provided craft beer to more and more restaurants in the country and earlier this month, they finally opened their much awaited bottle shop. So Giulz and I decided to spend Thanksgiving at the new bottle shop and just drink great beer and relax. When we got there, it was like being a kid in a candy store

Wall to wall brews
There were dozens of brands with hundreds of varieties to choose from. From old favorites like Ballast Point, Rogue and Gordon Biersch, to Stone and Hitachino Nest, there was no shortage of good beer here. Giulz and I decided to start with the less complex beers first. Giulz went with her usual Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen, which is a Bavarian style wheat beer. This is a very refreshing beer with a very nice sweet flavor with banana and vanilla notes, not that hoppy, just the way she likes it

Laffy's beer
I decided to get a beer that I have not tried yet, so I went with the Hitachino Nest White Ale as my first drink. This belgian style wit is insanely delicious. Very light mouthfeel with citrus notes, especially orange. This one immediately rocketed near the top of my list

YUMMY!!!!!
 I'm not really the biggest fan of ultra hoppy beers, so for my next beer I decided to with Stone's Levitation Ale. Unlike the Arrogant Bastard Ale which just explodes in your mouth with hoppy, earthy and woody flavors (in a good way mind you), the Levitation Ale was more toned down but still had an incredible flavor. Very malty and full bodied, there were some hints of citrus as well. A very well-balanced flavorful beer

Beer is the devil!!! hahaha
We called it a night after that since I had work but not before I took some stuff home with me. I brought home a Ballast Point Wahoo Wheat Beer (I love wheat beers), and this little beauty

16th Anniversary Limited Brew. Might drink it for Christmas

Other pictures of the bottle store are below. Kudos to Jim and the entire GBEx team on the opening of the bottle store. Thank you for giving Pinoys the opportunity to have great beer. 'Til the next Thirstday.

Visit Global Beer Exchange's Bottle Store at the ground floor Tritan Venture Building, Paseo de Magallanes, Makati City (Near Dayrit's and Amalia's) and tell them Jake sent you =)

Rogue Ales, very well represented

For the Hopheads. The best IPA in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment