10/07/2013

Good Libations: Global Beer Exchange Limited Release of Dogfish Head Beer (May 23, 2013)

One week after the Racer 5 and Lagunitas launch, I was back at Global Beer Exchange's Bottle Shop for another ThirstDay limited release. This time Jim and company had a very limited number of Dogfish head beers. Ever since I watched the Discovery Channel show Brew Masters, I have considered any Dogfish Head brew one of my holy grails. They may or may not be one of the best tasting beers, but I admired their belief and want to be unique or off-centered. Which is why I was so glad that I would finally be able to try it out.
\Only two variants were made available that day, and I started off with the Midas Touch Traditional Ale. Inspired by the residue in King Midas' ship, this is brewed with grapes, honey and saffron. Pours a nice copper-orange with little head. Aroma is primarily the grapes with minimal hops. Light mouthfeel with a taste that reminds me of wine. The grapes are very pronounced and the honey leaves a lingering sweetness after. Don't really know how saffron tastes so I couldn't detect it. There's an alcoholy bitterness to it throughout. Not my favorite beer but not bad


Next up is definitely one of my holy grails- Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial/Double India Pale Ale. More than anything I admired dogfishbeer's goal to be off-centered and unique, which is why I sought out their ales. With their goal in mind, this one certainly doesn't disappoint. Aroma has that IPA character of orange/citrus but you detect more maltiness in this one. I even noticed coffee in it. Pours a beautiful amber color. Taste is fruity at first with a hint of coffee/caramel but then the hops slowly creep up and stay there. Amazingly balanced for a US IPA. Definitely worth the wait. Also, at 9% ABV, this is a very drinkable brew.


The night didn't end there though as Jim generously brought out a surprise to share with us. A bottle of @dogfishbeer world wide stout. Very similar to the@brewdogofficial Tokyo ( see my review of Tokyo here) in almost every aspect. Jet black pour, coffee/toffee aroma with a very strong dark fruit flavor (dates or prunes) 18% abv


Although this was a one time release, there are tons of great craft beers over at the bottle shop. Visit Global Beer Exchange's Bottle Store at the ground floor Tritan Venture Building, Paseo de Magallanes, Makati City (Near Dayrit's and Amalia's) and tell them Jake sent you =)


No comments:

Post a Comment