6/17/2012

Rock of Ages (2012)

Contrary to what people may think (or I want to project hahaha), a movie doesn't have to be deep, heavy, or make the viewer think in order for me to say that it was good. Just like any other viewer, all I want is to be entertained. The simplest of plots or stories can be an absolute masterpiece for me if it's just presented to the audience well. Also, I don't stereotype based on genres. I may make assumptions based on who is directing or acting, but I don't say that a movie is bad just because it's a teeny-bopper movie or a film based on a Nicholas Sparks book. In short, I ain't that picky with what I watch, and the films that I like are not limited based on their genres. So it did not surprise me at all that I found absolute joy in watching a musical about rock and roll based on a Broadway play.

When I first saw the trailer of Rock of Ages, I did not know that it was an adaptation of a Broadway play, and it didn't matter to me that some of the biggest names in Hollywood were starring in it and singing some of the most iconic rock songs of all-time. The first thing that caught my attention aside from the trailer itself was the fact that it would be directed by Adam Shankman, who also directed Hairspray, one of my favorite movies and probably favorite musical of all-time. So knowing that Shankman was again directing another musical, and add to that the fact that I really love Rock n Roll music, I knew that I could not miss watching this film. So after finally watching the film with Giulz and the boys yesterday, all I can say is that all my expectations were met, and then some.


Just to quickly give a synopsis, Rock of Ages is set in the 1980s when glam rock was king. Two young musicians run into each other in the legendary Bourbon Room in Los Angeles and hope to turn their music dreams into reality. Along the way, they meet challenges (of course) and some of the rock gods of the time. So there you have it I don't wanna give away too much, but I will tell you that this movie was the most entertaining movie I have watched this year.

Let's start with the plot. Like I said earlier it's a pretty simple plot about two people meeting set in the backdrop of rock and roll. It may be simple, but the film was not the least bit shallow, and more importantly, it was honest with itself and what it was. To further explain what this means, I'm going to compare Rock of Ages to another musical -Across The Universe. The plots of both films are pretty much the same. But for me, Across The Universe was trying too hard to be more than it actually was. All the fancy visuals, the non linear and fragmented presentation of the scenes made Across The Universe an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE film that not even the music of The Beatles could save it. Rock of Ages remains simple, easy to understand and absolutely entertaining.

Now because of this type of presentation, the music used in Rock of Ages just makes the movie better instead of the factor that tries to salvage the film and make it the least bit understandable and bearable. The songs were perfectly chosen and properly placed to accent the mood and message that the specific scene wants to convey. Each song used gives emphasis to the anger, love or pain that the actors are feeling at that exact moment unlike Across The Universe or even Glee (which most people will probably most compare this film too). Rock of Ages is NOTHING like Glee. first of all, the actors sing better, and more importantly, the songs in Glee just make the TV series even cheesier or more cringe worthy. To compare Rock of Ages to Glee would be an absolute insult not only to good musicals, but to good singers and actors everywhere.

Acting in this film was top notch throughout, and this is a rarity for me. More often than not I would single out one or two actors who absolutely had no place in the film, but in Rock of Ages, every character was developed properly, explained well, and cast superbly. The two that deserve special mention is Catherine Zeta-Jones and Tom Cruise, two actors who I have increased respect for. Jones was never really my favorite Hollywood leading lady but after this performance, she just showed me just how broad her range of acting is. Cruise on the other hand, was in a league of his own in this film. Gone are the days of Top Gun or Mission Impossible where Cruise is stereotyped as an action star while his dramatic or comedic roles are forgotten. As Stacey Jaxx, Cruise epitomized the troubled personality of almost every rock star in history. From Axl Rose and Keith Richards to Jim Morrison and David Lee Roth, Stacey Jaxx was the embodiment of sex, drugs, narcissism and ego, and Cruise was PERFECT in this one.

I really can't think of anything bad to say about the film. There are so many negative reviews about this movie online, but I really don't see what they're talking about. I think that these people were expecting a different or "deeper" type of film, but to each his own. For me, this film was a well-balanced, well-acted, homage to rock and roll, and I LOVED IT. The summer movie season isn't over yet and we still have tons of hits coming, not to mention the end of year awards season, but right now I am torn between Rock of Ages, Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or The Artist as my favorite movie of the year. GO SEE THIS FILM


8.5/10

6 comments:

  1. I loved how the film did justice to Don't Stop Believing, a far cry from Glee's version (yuck!) wherein they managed to make it sound more like a pop song as opposed to what it rightfully is - rock n' roll.

    Rock of Ages's song covers were just AWESOME.

    - Laffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I also loved how Drew and Sherrie's love story, despite the boy-meets-girl cliché, wasn't cheesy AT ALL.

    But Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin's tandem was the best. :)

    - Laffy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a huge fan of 80's music, but I can easily say that this flick had me tapping my toes and singing along to just about every jam. The story itself was weak, but whenever they focused on the music and Tom Cruise, the film won me over. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! Possibly the only positive one I've seen so far, haha. I don't like how it's always being compared to High School Musical either, but that's probably because Julianne Hough (Sherrie?) is as annoying as Vanessa Anne Hudgens in some parts. I guess that was my only beef with the movie, plus the fact that Don't Stop Believing has been absolutely ruined by Glee along with many other songs I used to love :( Other than those, 5/5 for me too! Nothin' but a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you guys liked my writing :-). Dan O. above also gave a somewhat positive review of the film. Although he pointed out some flaws, he generally enjoyed. Go check out his reviews by clicking his name above

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review! Here's mine...

    http://ethanunscripted.blogspot.com/2012/06/more-karaoke-than-concert.html

    ReplyDelete